Re: [Amps] Good engineering

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Good engineering
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:13:26 -0700
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:55:33 -0700, "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
wrote:

>##  Bill , got any idea what 3 x NEW  EIMAC  3CPX-800A7's
>cost these days? ##That's the tube line up used in
>the HF-2500E.. really >smart.

I suspect that was a marketing decision, not an engineering one. Some
hams want only Eimac tubes and will not buy anything else. especially
in an amp that costs an arm and a leg like that one does.

>The 12 ga wireroller inductor,used in the 10 kw palstar ant tuner is a joke,
>along with SO-239's,and the mickey mouse balun on the INPUT
>of the tuner.. which will explode.

Really? I had a Palstar 5 kW tuner for a couple of years and it worked
fine. Nothing burned, nothing melted, nothing exploded. Of course, I
was running ONLY 1500 watts.  :-)

But it was RTTY.

73, Bill W6WRT