Re: [Amps] Good engineering

To: "'Jim Thomson'" <Jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Good engineering
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:22:29 +0200
The grid dissipation is not so much of a factor, since it is inherent in
high u tubes. That's what you pay for high gain. As long as you keep to
class AB1 operation, you shouldn't have grid dissipation problems. The
mishaps happen usually with non ALC controlled transmitter chains, that
can't control the amplitude of the driving signal. It isn't much more
complicated to implement an ALC circuit than installing grid protection
circuits.
        as for the other complaints, they are certainly true! But what can
you do? Install a $100 switch? A copper tube tank coil? Use a CCS rated
power transformer? These things will bring up the price at non competitive
levels, something a a manufacturer cannot afford these days.
This is why such a thing, with a little forethought will always be better
when home built than when bought. For a one off you can afford the best you
consider adequate.
Alex            4Z5KS