Re: [Amps] Good engineering

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Good engineering
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:53:50 -0400
> On 24th March, Bill wrote:
>
> "...A good engineer will just meet the requirements without going
> overboard..."

Second hand experience here but my best friend/Best Man at my wedding
decided he needed a sit down job subsequent to construction injuries
and went to college in St. Louis to study Engineering. He immediately
ran into a philosophical disagreement with the head of the
engineering department who was one of his instructors.

What he found at issue was that instructor's contention that good
engineering was to design so that the item would last for the length
of the warranty plus one day. I remember his anger and disgust at
that concept and he refused to accept that mentality & with that he
withdrew from the engineering program and started his own business.
Still angers him 25 years later.

Gary
KA1J