Re: [Amps] New High Efficiency 3-500Z plate caps

To: <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] New High Efficiency 3-500Z plate caps
From: Patrick Barthelow <apolloeme@live.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 20:18:15 -0700
My Drake L-4B has straight sided Chimneys.   I have also used very similar
Coleman lantern envelopes on home brew 3-500Z amps.  The thru glass electrode
looks quite thick and substantial, same for the 3-1000Z,  so, it is my guess it
plays a significant role in conduction of heat away from the anode.  In
addition to radiative dissapation.  The old Eimac app notes, or perhaps the
"Eimac Care and Feeding of Power tubes" used to have a drawing of the supposed
air flow beside and over the top of the tube, even if the chimney was only a
vertical cylinder.  Showed the air going vertical between the chimney wall, and
the OD of the tube envelope then curving, allegedly following the curved top
contour to the anode, and anode cooler, and mentioned that cooling was afforded
there, even though the air was not mechanically forced inward.  who knows..

The Eimac 3-500Zs of my Drake L-4B are originals, with late 60's date codes...

Best Regards,
73, de Pat Barthelow AA6EG

Arecibo  Video Tours:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vicxDnn6LEY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rFeXsVz8hE&NR=1

"The most exciting phrase to hear in Science, the one that heralds
new discoveries,  is not "Eureka, I have found it!"    but:"That's funny..."
----Isaac Asimov