Re: [Amps] New High Efficiency 3-500Z plate caps

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] New High Efficiency 3-500Z plate caps
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 01:35:07 -0400

On 7/1/2010 11:06 PM, Jim W7RY wrote:
> You'll also notice the crayon is going DIRECTLY onto the anode "pin"  the
> tube on the right. And on the TOP of the "new fangled" plate cap on the
> right.
>
> Not a very fair test. I would like to see the test repeated with a GENUINE
> HR-6 and the "new fangled" plate cap.

A couple of things I noted from the video.
As Jim says the one does not appear to be a genuine HR-6.
Another is the tube seal temp is not being measured nor is the
measurement actually representative of the seal temp in both cases.
In both cases the temp measured is less than the actual seal temp.
The so called "high efficiency" plate cap is BIG and and appears to be
massive (in a relative sense). It's large enough that the transverse
flow is being directed upwards through the fins. Still the anode pin is
no where near the heat conductor that the plate cap is. This could
possibly mean that the top of the plate cap is substantially cooler than
the seal. What they need in this case is to actually measure the seal temp.

I do not think measuring the top of the plate cap and the top of the
plate and directly on the plate pin which sticks through the cap similar
to the HR-6
In the end I have little doubt that the large/massive plate cap is a
much better cooler than the small one that looks similar to the HR-6
BUT, the unanswered questions is: How much does it lower the seal temp
and is lowering the seal temp really beneficial to the life of the tube
when the seal temp is already within ratings. IF it is beneficial is the
actual change worth the cost of the plate cap?

Some one asked if a heat sink compound would increase the efficiency and
the the answer is yes. You only need to work with high power transistors
to see how important that heat transfer and delta T can be.  Using
"Artic Silver" definitely will make a change. That again raises the
question of whether the improvement is worth the time, money, and mess.
With the expensive and fragile transistors it certainly is, but with a
tube cap that costs between 1/4 and 1/3 the price of new tubes...Much
less if you are talking about new Eimacs. <:-))

I doubt that the plate pin is actually a good heat conductor. Being so
would be a disadvantage as the better the conductor the hotter the seal
temp. So I'd bet it's a poor heat conductor at least when compared to
Aluminum or Copper or the anode material on an external anode structure
where it's an advantage to have a good heat conductor.

73

Roger (K8RI)