Re: [Amps] Automotive Relays

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Automotive Relays
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 11:00:30 -0700
I have a recurring problem with this with a homemade switchbox (luckily in my
shack, not
on a tower). Deoxit does help, but the problem recurs.

It's been suggested that I run a bit of DC through the contacts to electrically
'wet'
them. I bet this would work, but it's slightly complicated and I haven't tried
it.

On 8/8/2010 3:45 AM, David Cutter wrote:
> That begs a question I've often puzzled over:  how does a contact rated at
> 10A cope with uV level signals, particularly after the gold flash has gone ?
>
> David
> G3UNA
>

>> I did a survey about 15 years ago on CQ-Contest (then the only reflector
>> available).  IIRC, there were essentially no complaints about the
>> Ameritron RCS-8 or the TopTen remote relay box.  I used two TopTens for
>> maybe 10 years, often operating into>3:1 SWRs at>1200 watts (for
>> example, running an 80m array cut for CW up in the DX phone window) and
>> never had any relay problems.  Currently using an RCS-10, which can have
>> up to 7 relays in the RF path.  Will be interesting to see how it holds
>> up.
>>
>> Right now my Array Solutions Stackmatch has a bad relay (dirty?).
>> Symptom is occasional high SWR and a lack of received signal on the
>> lower antenna in my tribander stack.  If I send a little high power RF
>> through it things are then fine.
>>
>> 73, Pete N4ZR

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA