[Amps] Cracked Chimney

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Cracked Chimney
From: "Wayne Rogers" <n1wr@chesapeake.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 09:27:11 -0500
I have managed to put a crack in my chimney (SK-506 for 4-1000 etc).  The
crack is such that I am afraid that even the pressure from the metal clips
will cause a large piece of the glass to break off.

Has anyone had any luck either repairing such a crack or having a glass
repair firm do it?  I have looked around for some such repair service, but
have not had any luck.  I was hoping to find someone that repairs antique
glass.  I would think that in the right hands the glass could be heated and
re-joined?

As these chimneys are getting scarce I'd like to repair this one - but I'm
probably looking at a cost equal or greater than what I can pay for a
replacement.  Any thoughts?

Merry Christmas to all.
Wayne N1WR