Re: [Amps] Help with HL2200 6 meter conversion

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Help with HL2200 6 meter conversion
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 03:21:07 -0800
First of all, you can't trust the dip meter because the frequency will change
when you
couple it to the tank circuit. When I use one I wrap a turn or two of wire
around it and
connect it to a frequency counter. Then when I get a dip I look at the counter.

The best way to adjust a tank circuit is to compute the plate load impedance,
and then
temporarily place a non-inductive resistor of that value from plate to ground
(power OFF,
of course!). Then connect an antenna analyzer to the output and adjust for a
1:1 SWR. That
way you are establishing that the tank can transform the load impedance to 50
ohms.

You will need also to estimate or measure either the inductance or capacity in
the
circuit, including strays, to make sure the Q is in the ballpark. I use a AADE
LC meter to
do this, but you have to isolate the component (L or C) that you are measuring
from the
rest of the network.

If the parasitic suppressors are getting hot, then perhaps the inductance of
the U is too
high, but also I'm guessing that if the network is not set up properly the RF
current
could be higher than expected.

I don't think there's an advantage from making the U out of Nichrome.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/