Re: [Amps] Help with HL2200 6 meter conversion

To: "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Help with HL2200 6 meter conversion
From: "Gary Myers" <garymyers@powerc.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 12:27:45 -0700
sorry guys - I'm back....

with NOTHING having changed (believe you me - I'm an engineer that believes
HEAVILY in WHAT HAS CHANGED?) today the efficiency is quite low compared to
yesterday!

Yesterday I was able to get almost 1300W out at one point - and the efficiency
only got better with more drive/output getting up to as high as 65%... today I
can only get about 1050W out and the efficiency is just over 50%... of course
the metering isn't the issue here (its all relative) so I'm not focusing on the
absolute here (65 - is it "real") ... only on the relative change... and WHY
did it change?!

Second - the plate tune is now at about center (it is a 9 - 45pf) as is the
load (I believe about a 15 - 145pf). Again nothing physically has changed.

How does one increase efficiency in an amplifier? The bias zener hasn't changed
so it shouldn't be an issue of pushing it more towards Class A. I know losses
contribute to a loss in the efficiency - but again nothing has changed (and for
that matter I'm using 1/4" copper tubing for the tank - not sure how I can
decrease losses there)...

As a side matter I had said the suppressors were getting hot - I shortened the
"U" part of them today (after all the above - just to see what it would do) and
nothing changed other than the resistors do indeed appear to be cooler after
this change - but no change in the output.

If I increase the inductance - does that decrease the amount of plate tune
needed and will that effect the efficiency? SHOULD the plate tune be a lower
value ("ideally") and thus should a change in inductance be necessitated?

thanks for any feedback.

g.