Re: [Amps] Help with HL2200 6 meter conversion

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Help with HL2200 6 meter conversion
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 13:14:08 -0500
>> One concern I have is that I didn't follow the layout as they did
>> it.... I placed the plate tune cap (which by the way is not a 100pf
>> max - it is a 9-45pf cap) closer to the tubes using the available
>> mounting point - this meant that the tank coil had to go over the
>> caps. Not sure if that matters or not - I am a bit concerned that
>> if I tune it up with the perforated cover installed I get about
>> 350W out at a pretty bad efficiency.... if I remove that cover (the
>> HV Short on these amps never did work properly - and is not in this
>> case as well) then I get 550W out with about 800W in! So obviously
>> the tank coil is being effected by the proximity of the perforated
>> top.

Absolutely!  The coil's field will induce current in any conductive
surface it impacts.  By moving the coil closer to the top cover you
increase shunt capacitance across the coil effectively increasing
the minimum value of BOTH the tune and load caps.  You really want
to get that coil half way between the chassis and the top cover -
not over top of the capacitors.

Not only are you increasing the minimum capacitance of the tune/load
you are significantly lowering the Q of the coil and increasing the
losses.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 1/22/2011 10:49 AM, Gary Myers wrote:
> Gerald,
>
> duh! Of course its I sqrd R! I guess I was thinking that less current would
> flow through it if the impedance of the U part were similar. Someone else
> told me they did this same conversion and indeed found the inductance of the
> U too high - they reduced it - so I'll give that a try.
>
> One concern I have is that I didn't follow the layout as they did it.... I
> placed the plate tune cap (which by the way is not a 100pf max - it is a
> 9-45pf cap) closer to the tubes using the available mounting point - this
> meant that the tank coil had to go over the caps. Not sure if that matters or
> not - I am a bit concerned that if I tune it up with the perforated cover
> installed I get about 350W out at a pretty bad efficiency.... if I remove
> that cover (the HV Short on these amps never did work properly - and is not
> in this case as well) then I get 550W out with about 800W in! So obviously
> the tank coil is being effected by the proximity of the perforated top. The
> coil dimensions I used, because its near impossible to wind 1/4" copper on a
> 1.25" form per the article, was 1 9/16" which makes it closer to the top (as
> well as the caps).... my question is this: will it effect the tank at all to
> have this coil closer to the caps? Not sure if the field will effect the caps
> or
not