Re: [Amps] Voltage Doubler Regulation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Voltage Doubler Regulation
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 21:28:27 +0100
Richard Solomon wrote:
>I would like to look at ways to improve the Voltage Regulation in a
>Voltage Doubler Circuit.
>I tried Google, but didn't get much on the actual calculations involved.
>
>Since we have certain givens; such as The AC Line is what it is, the
>Plate Xfmr is what it is,
>the only variable in the equation would be the Capacitor value. Am I
>correct in that assumption ?

Many more variables need to be taken into account. Voltage regulation in
a doubler circuit will always be poorer than in a similar full-wave
bridge, and the series resistance of the transformer windings becomes a
critical factor.

>Can anyone point me to a reference that I can use ?
>
>Thanks, Dick, W1KSZ

Use the PSU Designer software:
<http://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/download.html>

Follow this link to download HV rectifier data and example files:
<http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/in-prac/best-of.htm#psud>

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek