Re: [Amps] Supply question

To: 'Michael J Talkington' <n8fwd@hotmail.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Supply question
From: Réjean Léveillé <releveille@videotron.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 16:19:06 -0400
Hi Mike

As example I am using 2x 3-500 tubes and the HV transformer is 3 kv / 1 A
with a full bridge without a load it reaches around 3800 V, with the bleeder
resistors 2x 50 kohms/100w + 100 ohms/7w + back to back diode for the -B and
I get 3450v dc. I use an oil capacitor of 8 mfd/4 kv with 9 H choke.
At full plate current (800 mA) it will only drop 250v. This will reach the
1.7kw output. At 1kw output continuous (rtty) with the proper tube cooling
with chimney the duty cycle is 100%.
Of course this includes cage fan for the tubes, fan for all transformers and
a very small fan for the bridge and the bleeder for -20c to +50c room temp.
I have dedicated transformer for the HV, tube filament, 24v dc and the PSK
circuit. Do not omit in-rush current limiter for filament, HV at start-up
and MOV with fuses at the main ac input.

Good luck
Rejean, va2am