Re: [Amps] 2 ways of Gettering...

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 2 ways of Gettering...
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 01:20:45 -0400
   High vacuum systems  use getters that get very hot, but they slowly
evaporate over a very long time, years sometimes.
The metallic vapor collides with the gas molecules and they both become
deposited on the walls of the iion pump.
Heating the surfaces (bakeing)  drives off the gas molecules that are pumped by
the these ion pumps.
To increase the chances of collisions magnets are used to increase the path
that the ions take before they collide
with the walls. Hot is good in this case.
73
Bill wa4lav