[Amps] RF in the Audio

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RF in the Audio
From: "Robert Kirkland" <alpha76@triton.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 11:41:20 -0400
hi,
There have been several posts on rf in the audio recently, this is for info, it happened to me. When I fired up my Ten-Tec Jupiter one morning the guys complained. Checking the TT diagram showed 2 ground pins in the mic connecter a chassis ground and an audio ground that wandered around inside the box to the audio board. That's bad, any rf on the mic cable goes on in. Connecting the grounds together and to the mic shield fixed it. Bought a built up K3 and wired my mic connecter cable and grounds together, nice, until the morning I returned after a long vacation rf again. A field strength meter showed rf on the co-ax, rf on the K3, rf on the 76A, rf every where. Dropped the antenna, cleaned and re taped the 1:1 balun co-ax connecters, ok. Moral is "don't patch it up find it and fix it".
Regards,
Bob w5pvr

02:34:00