Re: [Amps] RF in the Audio

Subject: Re: [Amps] RF in the Audio
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 14:04:39 -0700
On 9/24/2011 9:47 AM, Mitch Cox wrote:
> *You do not need to convince the Ogre, who by the way, is simply
> having too much fun trying to make you look like a moron by expounding
> his ignorance on the subject. *

The one of whom you speak reminds me of the observation that a certain
guy had "a mind like a steel trap -- rusted shut."  I long ago stopped
wasting my time with folks like that. It's like arguing with a drunk.

Thanks for the encouragement, but don't run away.  I'm certainly not --
my delete key works too well.

For those who might believe the premise that the coaxial chokes I've
described are un-tested in the real world, nothing could further from
the truth.  I'm a member of a major contesting club, most of whose
members run high power and do so for a long time at a crack. These
coaxial chokes have been in widespread use by our members on a wide
variety of antennas for more than four years, and I have yet to receive
a nastygram telling me that their chokes fried.  And the word has long
since spread to other contesters.

The bifilar designs are somewhat less robust with respect to power
handling, and you'll find caveats in my applications notes about using
them where they will see high common mode voltages. An example would be
an off-center fed antenna like a Windom, which is well known to fry
common mode chokes at even modest power levels because the common mode
voltage is very high.

73, Jim K9YC