Re: [Amps] Gettering 3-500 Tubes

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Gettering 3-500 Tubes
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 01:09:24 -0500
  I have quite a collection of power tubes. Many built 50 or more years ago. I
rarely find
gassy tubes. I have trouble with the idea that air leaks thru the envelope of
glass tubes.
I suspect that if a small amount of air does get into the vacuum it is from a
virtual leak.
These are due to tiny  gas pockets or bubbles in seals or defects in the
internal metal parts.
   I is a common problem in research high vacuum systems. The gas does not come
from the outside
thru the glass but from a flaw in the glass or other material that holds a
small amount of gas after
the tube is pumped out.
  If a 60 or 70 yea old  large power tube still has a hard vacuum I think it is
unlikely that air is leaking thru
the glass.
 73
Bill wa4lav