Re: [Amps] Relay suggestions please

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Relay suggestions please
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 07:38:08 -0700
Steve,

Let's get calibrated:

1.) 1.5kW in a 50 ohm environment is 274Vrms (387V peak) and 5.48Arms.
2.) Add some SWR into the mix (still @ 1500W) and the maximum voltages
and currents rise by the square root of SWR.
3.) Switching relays generally need to be able to handle maximums since
line locations can be anywhere along line
4.) With a 3:1 SWR Vpeak max = 670V and Irms max = 9.49A

Past discussions with relay manufacturers when I was using relays in
commercial equipment indicated that when using conventional relays at HF
the contact current rating be reduced to 50% of the datasheet values and
no correction to the datasheet voltage values are needed.  This assumes
NO hot switching.  I might add that a couple of relay manufacturers said
no current derating was necessary but most said something around 50% was
better.

If the relay is used with some contact(s) in a only receive path then
contact oxidation would be important and either a gold laden contact or
using a relay with bifurcated contacts would be better.   I have
simulated bifurcated contacts by using double pole relays with the
contacts paralleled.  There are numerous small DPDT relays with 8-10A
contacts which work well at HF.  Breakdown voltage is not a concern at
these power levels with reasonable SWRs.  Any wiring you probably do
will be slightly inductive (compared to 50 ohms) so some small
capacitance to ground will maintain a good SWR through the relay box.
Generally 5-20pF is about correct.

Hope this helps.

Larry, W0QE