Re: [Amps] Relay suggestions please

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Relay suggestions please
From: Don Kessler <ki6sz@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 10:20:28 -0500
Larry, I also use "conventional" relays for RF switching.

However, while the relay voltage and current handling of "conventional" relays
may be sufficient for this purpose, I've found that conventional relays usually
couple a great deal of RF into the relay coil leads.

This is the reason that I decouple each relay coil through inductors in each
of the coil leads and then follow up with suitable bypass capacitors.  To me
its worth the "hassle" -- $.75 of decoupling & bypass permits use of
inexpensive relays.

Even some of the vacuum relays can have quite a bit of RF on the coil leads.
I just make it a practice to decouple all relay coil leads.

Good Luck,
Don