Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: Any Opinions ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: Any Opinions ?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:43:08 -0400
> Yes, I prefer SS over tubes *but* I want one that is capable of at
> least 2 KW nominal CCS or 2.5KW PEP to run the legal limit on any
> mode contest style. To me that would be a valid comparison.

No, that's an apples to oranges comparison since you want a solid
state amplifier to be capable of 65% "headroom".

A well designed amplifier using 8 VRF-2933 or a pair of the Motorola/
Phillips 1200W TV transmitter "bricks" could be done commercially at
a price that is competitive with the top of the line Alpha but FCC
rules make it very impractical for any US manufacturer to bother to
do so.

> BTW I had ah HL1.5KFX for a few months and nary a complaint, *except*
> It needed a very low SWR to let it output full power. I replaced it
> with a manual tune, amp that will run 2 KW nominal and so far am very
> happy with it.

Again, apples to oranges ... you would never run your manually tuned
amplifier into a high SWR without tuning it for that SWR.  Why would
you expect an untuned solid state amplifier to handle a high SWR
without adding a tuner (either manual or automatic)?

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV