Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: Any Opinions ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: Any Opinions ?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:35:27 -0400
 >> A well designed amplifier using 8 VRF-2933 or a pair of the Motorola/
 >> Phillips 1200W TV transmitter "bricks" could be done commercially at
 >
 > I don't want a 1200 watt amp that has to be derated for digital.

8 x VRF-2933 or 2 x 1200 W Motorola/Phillips "blocks" are not a 1200W
amplifier.  2 x VRF-2933 do 600W brick on the key in the KPA-500.  Both
configurations I listed will do 2 KW CCS with reserve gain given the
proper cooling system design.

> FCC rules mean I have to import a 2KW nominal, 2.5KW PEP amp to have
> an amp that will run the legal limit any mode key down.

Yes, and by law US Customs should impound your amplifier until you can
provide the FCC approval documents for it (it does not fall under the
"one off" exemption since it is a commercial product).  Fortunately,
Customs is not designed to look for individuals importing their own
amplifier.

> I can currently go from a 1.1:1 to a 1.3:1 and see no difference in
> output. I could not do that even at 1.2:1 with the SS amp.

Then the amplifier in question was not particularly well designed.
A properly designed solid state amplifier should be able to handle
a modest amount of QSY ... the KPA-500 generally shrugs off anything
under 1.5:1 (or more).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV