Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: Any Opinions ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: Any Opinions ?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:04:32 -0400
>> Yes, I prefer SS over tubes *but* I want one that is capable of at
>> least 2 KW nominal CCS or 2.5KW PEP to run the legal limit on any
>> mode contest style. To me that would be a valid comparison.
> No, that's an apples to oranges comparison since you want a solid
> state amplifier to be capable of 65% "headroom".
No, it's exactly what I expect out of a tube amp, and I have one that
will do it. So it's a valid comparison if I want the same thing out of SS.

> A well designed amplifier using 8 VRF-2933 or a pair of the Motorola/
> Phillips 1200W TV transmitter "bricks" could be done commercially at

I don't want a 1200 watt amp that has to be derated for digital.

> a price that is competitive with the top of the line Alpha but FCC
> rules make it very impractical for any US manufacturer to bother to
> do so.

FCC rules mean I have to import a 2KW nominal, 2.5KW PEP amp to have an
amp that will run the legal limit any mode key down.

>> BTW I had ah HL1.5KFX for a few months and nary a complaint, *except*
>> It needed a very low SWR to let it output full power. I replaced it
>> with a manual tune, amp that will run 2 KW nominal and so far am very
>> happy with it.
> Again, apples to oranges ... you would never run your manually tuned
> amplifier into a high SWR without tuning it for that SWR.  Why would
> you expect an untuned solid state amplifier to handle a high SWR
> without adding a tuner (either manual or automatic)?

Please note, I said, very low SWR.  I can move roughly 70 KHz on 40
without having to touch the amp or line tuner.
With the HL1.5KFX I'd have to retune. I can currently go from a 1.1:1 to
a 1.3:1 and see no difference in output.
I could not do that even at 1.2:1 with the SS amp.

73

Roger (K8RI)