Re: [Amps] soldering vs crimping

To: "'Dick Green WC1M'" <wc1m73@gmail.com>, "'Carl'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "'Charles Harpole'" <k4vud@hotmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] soldering vs crimping
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 08:51:37 +0300
First of all I would like to correct a small misconception about the little
side hole in the center pin of all connectors: it is there to provide a
visual verification of the placement of the central wire, NOT for soldering!
It also provides an escapement space, because the deformation of the wire
under the pressure of the crimp has to go somewhere.
Look, guys, the discussion is moot: there is no lossless connector in
existence! The only way to avoid losses here is to solder the coax straight
to the board and do it carefully: that's what Teflon cables are for!
In any case, common sense dictates buying the best connectors on can afford:
putting PL-239 connectors on super expensive cables is an exercise in
futility! You might as well install RCA connectors!
We are talking about losses more dependent on tightening torque than
electrical performance!
Alex    4Z5KS