Re: [Amps] brittle shields? and soldering vs crimping

To: "'Charles Harpole'" <k4vud@hotmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] brittle shields? and soldering vs crimping
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 09:19:32 +0300
...it's not becoming brittle due to heat! It becoming oxidized by air under
the influence of heat: the hotter the faster.
As for not soldering : in high power systems, especially in CCS, operating
temperatures are close to the melting point of solder so they CAN melt down.
BTW, this very same problem is encountered in high power electrical
installations, where screw on connections are the rule.
It's not a radioman's problem only.
About not soldering on 70 ohms coax: who said you can't? it's true that it's
a little more tricky, due to different dielectric materials (softer and with
a lower melting point) but you can definitely do it, if you have a sure hand
and can do it quickly, so as not to melt the dielectric.
Alex    4Z5KS