Re: [Amps] MFJ products

To: Glen Zook <gzook@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MFJ products
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:44:22 -0400
On 9/10/2012 10:15 PM, Glen Zook wrote:
The main problem with mfj is their quality assurance.  Way too many
products come with missing hardware, extra hardware (probably from the
last unit down the line which is missing hardware), poor soldering, no
solder on some joints, and so on.  After these deficiencies in the unit
are taken care of, the mfj equipment usually works very well, especially
for the cost of the item.  If one purchases an mfj item with the
understanding that it is a "semi-kit" (some final assembly required),
then the purchaser should be happy.

I've purchased some equipment a lot more expensive than MFJ's line and found parts missing. One didn't even have a UHF connector on the back fasted. The 4 screws were missing.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Unfortunately, way too many newcomers to amateur radio purchase mfj
items who do not have the experience to troubleshoot and repair the
unit.  As such, those persons are usually unhappy or become
disillusioned with amateur radio.

Over the years, I have owned several mfj items.  All but 2 of those came
to me not working because of the aforementioned reasons and the owner
didn't want to bother with fixing it himself / herself and didn't want
to have to pay someone to repair the item.  I have bought exactly 2 mfj
units new.  One of those was one of their relatively inexpensive keyers
(it had some bad soldering and a couple of missing hardware items) and
the other was a 24-hour clock.  Now the clock has worked fine from the
start.  However, the clock was built "off shore" and just the mfj logo
was put on it.
Glen, K9STH

Website: http://k9sth.com