Re: [Amps] MFJ products

To: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MFJ products
From: "Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]" <peter@frenning.dk>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 10:26:27 +0200
Den 11-09-2012 10:07, David Kirkby skrev:
On 11 September 2012 03:15, Glen Zook <gzook@yahoo.com> wrote:
The main problem with mfj is their quality assurance.  Way too many products come with
missing hardware, extra hardware (probably from the last unit down the line which is
missing hardware), poor soldering, no solder on some joints, and so on.  After these
deficiencies in the unit are taken care of, the mfj equipment usually works very well,
especially for the cost of the item.  If one purchases an mfj item with the understanding
that it is a "semi-kit" (some final assembly required), then the purchaser
should be happy.
IMHO, you are making the situation with MFJ worst. If everyone sent
back items which have hardware missing, poor solding, similar issues,
then MFJ would have some incentive to improve their quality control.
..... and so on and on and on....
My 5 cents worth:
I own and use several pieces of MFJ equipment, much of it has been in daily use for more than 10years: a MFJ-4245MV SMPS, no RF-hash, and has performed nearly 24/ 7 for more than 10years a MFJ-259B antenna analyzer, without a doubt the most useful tool in my toolbox I know there are better/more accurate/higher quality analyzers available now - at vastly higher prices! this one has been in use for more than 10 years in my shack and in the field, and when I broke it (my own fault - reverse polarity) MFJ was very helpful with repair suggestions I owned a MFJ-969 tuner for several years - did exactly what it was supposed to do at a very reasonable price Various power meters an dummy loads - again they have been performing exactly as expected.

To conclude: yes corners have been cut here and there, but at the prices asked you get fair usefulness and many times equipment which few of us could afford without MFJ supplying it.

--
Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

** Genius is one per cent inspiration, **
** and ninety-nine per cent            **
** perspiration.                       **
**               -- Thomas A. Edison   **
email: peter(no-spam filler)@frenning.dk
http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
Ph. +45 4619 3239
Snailmail: