Re: [Amps] Electron HOLE flow

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Electron HOLE flow
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 03:54:29 -0400
On 8/28/2013 2:59 AM, jim.linda@roadrunner.com wrote:
When I first went to school to study electronics they taught the theory called Hole Flow.
 Lets start with the idea that there may be more than one way to have a free electron
looking for a home.  When an electron is released from an atom he looks for another atom
to nest.  The receiving atom has to release one when that happens.  It's against the
rules to have an extra one that doesn't belong there.  So as current flows there are
atoms receiving an electron and in turn releasing an electron.  Not all the atoms in a
material are so lucky to receive the gift of a free electron, but if it is, it has to
releases one also.  The process of receiving one and releasing one is called "hole
flow" and for a short time the atom that lost one has a hole, but when it receives
one again it is a happy camper.  Musical chairs is a good way of visualizing it.  My two
cents worth.
_______

They still refer to "hole flow" in introductory semiconductors. Hole flow represents the current flow in "P" type semiconductors and using conventional current flow aids in following them. Again a magnet cap show that the current flow really is positive, instead od negative/electrons.

It's been a long time since I went through those texts.

73

Roger (K8RI)