Re: [Amps] Electron HOLE flow

Subject: Re: [Amps] Electron HOLE flow
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:04:03 -0400
On 8/28/2013 6:36 PM, Fuqua, Bill L wrote:
   In a workshop I teach, I explain to young students how current flows thru
conductors.
I put them all in a circle and insert myself into the circle. Then I tell them
that they are the
atoms that make up the conductor and I am a battery, I give each a shinny new
penny with
a negative sign on both sides. I then tell them that the pennies are free
electrons and being
the battery my job is to take them in one hand and hand them out on the other.
So I take one penny
into my positive hand from the first student, and telll him that now he is
positive and must take one from
his neighbor. This continues until the student on my negative side is short an
electron (penny) and I
give that student another penny.

In an introductory course we had to figure out the average speed of the electron drift in a #10 wire carrying 1 Amp. Like the pool ball experiment the one entered and the other popped out almost instantly, but the average speed was somewhat faster than a fast walk IIRC. It's quite possible that the original electron never did make it to the other end.

Although it was a fairly easy exercise, I don't remember the steps, other than all atoms were considered to have a free electron. The number of electrons in a coulomb, and Avogadro's number for atoms in a mole of copper.

Anyone remember how to do that?

73

Roger (K8RI)
    While doing this one day, we started going faster and faster until
something went wrong.
A boy had two pennies and the girl next to him had none. I said, now we have a
problem, remember, these are
young elementary students. I told the boy that now he is negative, and the girl
is positive. One kid pointed
out that they must be attracted to one another. The boy and girl both said
"yuck".

73
Bill wa4lav