Re: [Amps] Measuring IMD

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Measuring IMD
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 17:43:30 +0000
I don't think that this system using two diode detectors into a scope would be a good replacement for actual IMD measurement. My reasons:

Even if both diode detectors have the same response curve, this system would of course only detect amplitude distorsion, and that only if it is strong enough to visibly bend the line on the screen. Smaller amplitude distorsion would go undetected, and what's more important, all phase distortion would go undetected!

In solid state amplifiers, phase distortion can be a prime cause of IMD products.

So I think that genuine IMD measurement is the better route.

Also it's easier to do. Hams are more likely to own two or more radios and a computer, than an oscilloscope!

Manfred