Re: [Amps] Measuring IMD

To: g8on@fsmail.net, Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Measuring IMD
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@q.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 10:48:31 -0800
In my mind, this side-thread with the diode detectors has more to do with loading and operating than testing. I wouldn't suggest it be used as a substitute for IMD testing a new design.

Without any field experience on my part, it seems it could be useful to build such a gadget into a homebrew tube amp. In that context, it wouldn't be useful in a SS amp - at least one that uses conventional broadband design.

Even though I *can* generate a two-tone signal in DSP in two of my HF rigs, I won't bother to specifically test IMD every time I load an amp on a new frequency or at a new input level. If I had such a gadget built-in, however - that might be useful.

My .02,
Jim N7CXI