Re: [Amps] Solid State Relays Again

To: <w7ry@centurytel.net>, "'amps'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Solid State Relays Again
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 21:44:17 -0700
Hi Jim,
I'm guessing the relay shorted because of a voltage transient, not  a
current overload. A possible culprit would be the inductive kick from the
plate transformer caused when the relay opened. You could try putting a
bidirectional TVS diode directly across the relay terminals to suppress a
large inductive spike. A reasonable choice would be Mouser  p/n
511-1.5KE300CA. Pretty cheap protection for $0.76. Also, you might consider
a solid state relay with a heftier 50A/480VAC rating. The Crydon D2440's
voltage rating might be a bit marginal for the application.
73,
Jim W8ZR