Re: [Amps] Solid State Relays Again

To: <w7ry@centurytel.net>, "amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Solid State Relays Again
From: "Paul Kraemer" <elespe@lisco.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:56:16 -0600
Jim
My thinking on solid state relays has not changed in the over quarter century I have been invested in factory automation and industrial control These trinkets first arrived on the scene about mid 70's, a product of the "we can do anything with electronics" gadgeteers At that time it was proclaimed that mechanical relays and contactors would be obsoleted by the solid state relays. The market for electomechanical relays today is larger than ever. Must be a reason. They are only useful when switching highly cyclic resistive loads---theatre lighting comes to mind
If an inductive load is involved---use a real relay with contacts
You can be stubborn and persist it making them work but why do that. I want my transformer really off when I think it is off, not sitting there with leakage current ready to turn on due to any number of reasons from line noise to failure Another misconception is that zero crossing relays switch at the minimum point. Only true for a resistor. ELI the ICE man has his rules and they will be followed. The turn off surge is what kills many solid state relays. SSR websites are a good source of this information I don't think we are stuck in the dark ages here. We use our share of solid state motor control up to some pretty impressive power ratings and have designed and manufactured some ac soft start soft stop controls. A bit of a different animal for sure than the typical SSR. But for just switching something on and off a simple relay works very well and lasts "forever". Costs less too. I certainly have replaced my share of failed SSR's in industry with "just a relay". Plenty of other real high tech opportunities out there.
Just my take on the subject.

Paul