Re: [Amps] Time for New Power Meter

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Time for New Power Meter
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 06:23:08 -0400
Having spent much of my life (Every Monday for nearly 23 years) calibrating instruments in the lab, maintenance, QA and production, it's normal for me to see readings I can believe in, whether that accuracy is necessary or not. Other than those first few years in production I did that until I went to college.

I think it's similar for many hams, although they don't realize just how poor the accuracy of that equipment is and refuse to believe it when shown. Generally, as I've said before, "It's good enough for who it's for"

I'm not asking for an answer to me or the reflector.

How many on the reflector can honestly say they regularly check the power out when running the legal limit? Did you allow for meter error? How often do you check? Have you ever had the meter actually checked for accuracy? How long since your multimeter was properly calibrated? What is its accuracy when properly calibrated. What is the accuracy of your digital multimeter? How about half scale? Is the accuracy a percent of full scale, or of the reading?

Who actually measures output power withy care to stay legal, given the accuracy of measurement. How about close to the band edge? USB and LSB? Other modes? VFO accuracy and stability. How wide is your CW? It depends on the speed.
How do you scale readings and accuracy?

There are many places where accuracy is important and many others where it isn't critical if allowed for in the measurements.

73

Roger (K8RI)