Re: [Amps] Need for bias switch (CW/SSB)

To: "Charlie" <charlie@drhabekost.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need for bias switch (CW/SSB)
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.qozzy.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:41:01 -0500
The FCC did it!

Originally the rule was 1000W DC input for any mode. Then it changed to 2000W PEP for SSB only so the plate transformer was tapped and a switch added,

Some of those older amps have a pretty wimpy transformer and not suited for heavy duty CW use in the SSB position.

The Ameritrons with that switch change the bias but it never goes into Class C. Instead it is in fairly Deep Class B in CW with a much lower idle current which also works well in AM. The HV doesnt change.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charlie" <charlie@drhabekost.com>