Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?
From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 10:14:47 -0600
> Excellent advice, Jim.

Hear, hear!

And another good piece of advice is to make sure you have an ac safety ground connection on every metal enclosure. With 12 Vdc being the normal power supply voltage these days, we can get away with practices that would really be hazardous for tube-based gear.

> A 50 uF capacitor charged to 4000 V holds a potentially deadly 400 Joules of energy

In the defibrillator business of a few years ago, this was known as the "rescue shock" of last resort. This amount of energy can lift a 200-pound person 1.5 feet. When leveraged by muscle-and-bone, much damage can be done.

73, Ward N0AX