Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?

To: <amps@contesting.com>, Jim Garland <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 14:47:38 +0000 (UTC)
I agree with most of this, Jim, and you've captured what I was thinking
when I wrote about my own "new ham who wants to build a legal-limit
linear" concerns.

The only rule I'd disagree with is #1.  No matter what your ham trajectory
looks like, there is going to be a first project involving high voltage
circuitry.
The project covered by your article may not have been an appropriate
starting point, but ultimately you have to cross the bridge to high voltage
some time (or decide you'll never cross it) with a first project.

I've been building and fixing electronics off and on for something like
40 years, but the recent Heathkit SB-220 repair was the first time I've
worked with voltages greater than 350 volts.

There's no reason a new ham couldn't build a linear with a bit of guidance,
but I'd suggest starting with something like an HFPacker 35 watt (or
100 watt) solid state amp.  Nothing higher than 24V anywhere, and it's
a bit of a challenge because of 3D component density.  I'd rate it harder than
a K2, though requiring few hours; I've built both!

73,
Cathy
N5WVR