Re: [Amps] Maintenance-free

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Maintenance-free
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 09:55:00 -0800
Hi Cathy,

That can be seen several ways. One thing I love about my early '80s vintage Ten Tec 425s is that, thanks to its simplicity and that it's built with simple parts, it's easy to work on. Most parts failures can be found with a Simpson 260.

But also because of the keying logic circuitry, and because of which components fail when something arcs, and because of the interlocks, you often have no idea where to start. The Alpha error codes are described in the manual, and they DO give you clues about what went wrong. I'm new to Alpha -- I just bought an 87A, and prior to doing so, studied the manual. Yes, the control circuitry is quite complex, and I wouldn't want to work on it. But that control circuitry can prevent a lot of damage, and can make tubes last longer by going into protect mode when grid current rises. The Titan simply gives me an idiot light, and if I'm not watching it, as is often the case when I'm contesting with two radios, I can toast a tube or two!

73, Jim K9YC