Re: [Amps] Mobile Amps ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Mobile Amps ?
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 14:12:59 +0000
Bill, Jim,

Be careful with so much power in a mobile. Many newer cars are highly
computerized and won't tolerate RFI.

YES! My 2006 Toyota Sequoia (big SUV) went into "limp home" mode with only 100W on 20M.

I'm a happy man! I still drive a Nissan SUV made in 1992, special model for 3rd world countries. The only factory-installed electronics in it is the timer for the rear wiper intermittent function! The engine has a fully mechanical carburetor, the ignition is by points and capacitor (called "condenser" by mechanics) in a mechanical distributor, and so on. There is no ABS, no airbags, no catalytic converter with all of its associated sensors and controller, no navigation electronics, no nothing. Even the original voltage regulator was mechanical, but I changed that to an electronic regulator.

This car is a dream for any ham: After installing resistor-type spark plugs, there is no interference whatsoever from the car to the radios, and of course there is no interference from the radios to the car - it's kinda hard to QRM a carburetor! :-)

I bought this car because 1992 was the last year when cars without emission control were licensed without much restrictions in my country, and I intended to hold on to it while I can maintain it. While some European environmentalists might cringe, I can assure them that it's not as bad as they think: This car has a highly complex carburetor, along with gas recirculation and other measures, all fully mechanical, that result in pretty low CO, NO and HC emissions. Along with CO2 emissions that are slightly lower than those of an equivalent modern car!

As a ham, I wouldn't buy any car whose manufacturer forbids installing a transceiver in it! Just like I would never buy a house in a condominium that has antenna restrictions.

Manfred