[Amps] 130 V MOV placement ??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 130 V MOV placement ??
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 12:23:18 -0700
IF  using a 130 V rated   MOV,   where  does it get wired ?   Do you wire
between  120 vac  and neutral.... or  120 vac and chassis of  equipment in
question ?

IF  a spike  / transient /  glitch  etc  occurs.and  MOV  conducts..which  path
do you want the fault current to flow through, the ground wire or the  neutral
?

The only place the  neutral and ground are bonded together is at the main 200A
panel.   On my 100 A  sub panel, the neutral + ground are NOT bonded,  per the
electrical code.

Either way, the  MOV  is fused, so if it does fail  shorted... the fuse opens
up.   Also  I use a neon  /  led  wired between output of fuse..which is also
the input to the MOV...and neutral.
In normal operation, the  neon / led is illuminated.    IF fuse opens  up, the
neon / led  goes  out.... telling me the MOV is doa.

Tnx... Jim   VE7RF