Re: [Amps] 130 V MOV placement ??

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 130 V MOV placement ??
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 18:19:15 +0000
Jim,

IF  using a 130 V rated   MOV,   where  does it get wired ?   Do you
wire between  120 vac  and neutral.... or  120 vac and chassis of
equipment in  question ?

Between 120VAC phase and neutral. NOT to the chassis!

IF  a spike  / transient /  glitch  etc  occurs.and  MOV
conducts..which  path do you want the fault current to flow through,
the ground wire or the  neutral ?

You want it to flow through the neutral line, so that the chassis of your equipment does NOT get a dangerous voltage on it. If a high fault current was injected into the chassis, all the inductance and resistance of the ground wire might cause enough voltage drop to become dangerous.

The only place the  neutral and ground are bonded together is at the
main 200A panel.   On my 100 A  sub panel, the neutral + ground are
NOT bonded,  per the electrical code.

That's fine. And there should be a GOOD, real earth connection there.

That bonding matter is controversial, though. In my country the law requires that the neutral and protective earth lines are NOT bonded, but instead each has its own earth connection. The neutral at the distribution point (pole pig), the protective earth right at the house.

Each of the two systems has advantages and disadvantages.

Either way, the  MOV  is fused, so if it does fail  shorted... the
fuse opens up.   Also  I use a neon  /  led  wired between output of
fuse..which is also the input to the MOV...and neutral. In normal
operation, the  neon / led is illuminated.    IF fuse opens  up, the
neon / led  goes  out.... telling me the MOV is doa.

It would be better to use just the main fuse of the equipment, so that a dead, shorted MOV blows the main fuse, instead of allowing the equipment to keep powered and eating the overvoltage that blew the MOV!

If just the MOV is fused, the sequence is this: BIG surge starts - MOV clamps the surge - MOV fails shorted - MOV fuse blows - now unclamped surge goes on to equipment - equipment blows up. Instead when using just the main fuse, the sequence is: BIG surge starts - MOV clamps the surge - MOV fails shorted - main fuse blows - equipment loses power but remains unharmed except for MOV and fuse.

MOVs are intentionally designed to fail in short circuit, TO PROTECT EQUIPMENT, not to be disconnected by fuses, defeating that protective function!

Manfred