[CQ-Contest] QSL'ing

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QSL'ing
From: w7why@mail.coos.or.us (Tom Osborne)
Date: Mon Feb 16 22:48:43 1998
Fred Laun K3ZO wrote:

> All the talk about how people should send an SASE if they expect a QSL
>in return just shows how mercenary we have become as a society.  I can't
>see where people are worse of economically than they were 45 years ago
>when I started -- most of them are a lot better off.  What we have is
>simply a greater degree of selfishness which no amount of intellectual
>gloss can hide.

Hi Fred.  I can't agree with that statement. A lot of guys are in the
same boat as I am.  I lost my job of 32 years in November so my company
can make more profit. Now I have a lot more important things to spend my
money on than a piece of cardboard some one can throw in a box or a
drawer.  After every contest I get 50 to 75 cards. Multiply that by $.32
and it runs into a bit of an expense for someone living on unemployment.
I think if someone wants a card, it won't hurt them to stick in an
envelope and a stamp. If they want an award, thats fine, but don't expect
me to pay for it.  Some people are on a fixed income too, and QSL'ing can
get to be quite an expense.  If it were only 1 or 2 cards, it wouldn't be
so bad. I can only imagine what the QSL load must be for guys that make 2
or 3 thousand contacts. If I want a card, I will stick in an SASE. I
would appreciate it if everyone else would do that too. 73
Tom W7WHY