[CQ-Contest] Novices/Technicians/Contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Novices/Technicians/Contesting
From: ddoiron@gw.bsu.edu (David Doiron)
Date: Mon Mar 2 11:13:36 1998
   I began my contesting activity with the January 1970 VHF
sweepstakes. At that time I was a Tech and enjoyed the contest.  My
next experience was at Field Day when the more experienced operators
in the club sat me down in front of an HF radio and guided me into that
world.  I have been competing ever since.
   To infect the latest group of new hams, I made a presentation to my
club about contesting on the VHF/UHF bands.  Several of the newer
hams provided me with contacts on 2 meters (NOT on 146.52!) and 223
MHz as a result.  Many of them were suprised at how far a SSB signal
could travel on VHF and have turned the dial on their multimode rigs to
SSB once in while.  A lot of them didn't even know competitions existed!
If we expect to get new contesters out of this new pool  of hams we
have to tell them about it and show them how it's done.  The other part is
that you have to be patient.  These hams are at the bottom of a learning
curve that we, more experienced hams, have to guide them along.  There
is just as much preparation work for contests in advertising as there is
setting up antennas or tuning up rigs.
  -73- Dave Doiron, WA1MKE