[CQ-Contest] Contest Operator All-Stars, etc.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Operator All-Stars, etc.
From: ddjones@nas.com (Dale Jones K5MM)
Date: Tue Mar 10 22:54:16 1998
 Re:  Contest All Star possibilities:

 Scott, W4PA, recounted some of the experiences he enjoyed and responses
 he initiated during the recent ARRL-ssb Contest.  Most interesting,
 and certainly ones that I think are GOOD....very good, actually.

 Consistent with Scott's "reverse" tips (see below), maybe the contest
 community should consider naming some Contest Operator All Stars, after
 a contest.

 I see that a few Europeans, and a ZL, are sending a report to the
 reflector on Signal Strength of some of the Big US op station.  That is
 of course very interesting and useful too.

 A similar summary of All Star Ops, as judged by SOMEONE -- a known
 DX station on behalf of the US stations, and some of the knowledgeable
 US guys on behalf of the DX ops,-- would be fun.  It also puts a
 'positive' spin on naming the GOOD GUYS, rather than naming the rogues.

 I would suggest that this All Star list should not be based on signal
 strength.  That is being done separately already.  Some of the items to
 consider when naming an All Star could include:

        1.      Correct Operating Procedure
        2.      Clarity of exchange (no dumb phonetics, like Gnat, Knife,
Pneumonia, etc. on ssb)
        3,      Following contest rules, precisely
        4.      Availability on the bands
        5.      Operating style, working by District, consistent technique, etc.
         (avoid calling CQ at 45 wpm, and then allowing a 300 millisecond
          elapsed time between CQ's -- same concept on ssb)
        6.      Extra effort in getting the other guys call sign right.
        7.      etc......

 May be best to keep it informal -- and just let anyone who wants to be
 a judge, be one.  Scott has kicked it off by naming 8P9P, V26B, & P40W
 in his summary.

 Anybody interested in this??

 73
 Dale  K5MM