[CQ-Contest] GO subliminal

Subject: [CQ-Contest] GO subliminal
From: dietz@texas.net (Chuck)
Date: Thu Mar 12 08:09:04 1998
>   I try to use my complete call in contests, but having a 2x3 cal it is
> hard if not impossible to get my call in befire the CQing satation
> starts calling CO again.

> leave a extra second or 2 between CQ's and or QRZ's for those of us
> with the longer calls to get our call signs in.
> 73
> KC5AJX

If the CQing operator hears the start of your call he will not start CQing
again until he logs a contact with you.  The whole point of CQing is to get
answers.  If you CQ in the face of people who are calling, you are wasting
time and slowing the rate.

Now in the ARRL DX contest stateside stations cannot work other stateside
stations or VEs for credit.  Those contacts constitute wasted time.  So if
stateside stations are calling me in the ARRL DX contest, I might CQ again
thinking they had missed my correct call.  If they continue to call I
usually work them but do not log them.  If several are calling, I might
explain that I cannot work Stateside or VEs.

Of course, there was some confusion with my "KZ5" prefix.  One wag told me I
was in a "deleted country."  I told him I was in Texas and he expressed
surprise that the Canal Zone now counts as Texas!  Many old timers called
thinking there was still a Canal Zone.   Lucky for me, the rate on 10 meters
was so slow that P40W made more QSOs in one hour than I did in the entire 48
hour contest!  I don't think any of this cost me even one DX QSO or slowed
the already miserable rate.

Everyone, everywhere can work everyone else, anywhere in the CQ WPX contest
the last weekend of this month.  All contacts will be appreciated by all.
Please don't worry about the length of your call.

73,

Chuck, KZ5MM