[CQ-Contest] Contest QSLing

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest QSLing
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Thu May 3 21:23:25 2001

73 - Jim AD1C writes:

"The ARRL has been working on this a LONG time (ask Wanye N7NG).  It's not
going to just happen overnight because every member asked."

Several observations:

1) The ARRL wants to control the QSL process.  Why?  Fees my friends.

2) The process exists already.  See www.eQSL.com

3) eQSL claims to have patented the process of sending QSLs via the
internet.  I have not read the patent.  They simply claim that it exists and
that "the ARRL will have to deal with the patent enfringement" in the event
they attempt to reproduce eQSL.  This is not uncommon.  eBay patented the
"feedback" process and no other auction house on the web has even come close
to competing with eBay--it's the law.

4) The claims that the eQSL process is flawed and does not secure the
delivery and receipt of "confirmation reports" is simply smoke to disquise
the real intent of the ARRL--fees my friends.  Money talks bull_ _ _ _
walks!

5) AB0MV hinted at the significance of QSLing.  It is a great aspect of the
hobby.  It IS the hobby to many.  The antiquated requirement to use postage
or the Buro is 1948 thinking.  Last time I looked at my calendar, the 21st
century arrived some time ago.

6) The ARRL is not the only award granter.  The list of awards would fill
the page.  Perhaps the ARRL needs to get out of the awards business and give
it to people who can administrate it using modern methods.

7) If Wayne N7NG is working on it for the ARRL, then he should provide an
update as to progress and open up a forum for discussion of the process.  I
have never heard one word about it outside of board minutes.  Frankly, I
don't believe they can get it done.  With these points being illustrated, I
defend my original statement:

 > If everyone put some gentle pressure on their ARRL directors,
 > it would happen by Friday.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com