[CQ-Contest] contest taping

Subject: [CQ-Contest] contest taping
From: geoiii@kkn.net (George Fremin III - K5TR)
Date: Tue May 29 18:42:43 2001
On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 11:10:36AM -0700, Jeffrey Clarke wrote:

 >    I never have figured out why people bother taping a contest. If
 > you listen to the recording and then change the mistakes you made
 > in your log afterwards wouldn't this be considered cheating ?

I think it would be beyond the sprit of the contest.

I have recorded several contests now and I will continue to do
so in the future.  I do it for several reasons:

1.  Because I can - with MP3 compression I can record 30 hours of
     the phone SS (even the off times) in stereo (both radios) in
     about 420Mb or less of disk space.  I think this is cool.

2.  In case something interesting happens during the contest.
     I can hear it again or play it for friends.
      http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/audio/k1ar.mp3

3.  So when I get the log checking report I can go listen to
     the recording and see why I made the error.
     (and yes they are usually MY errors)

4.  So when I get a QSL card for a QSO I can not find in my
     log I can listen to the recording to see if I can
     figure out what happened.

I don't go back and correct my log before I submit it - in
fact I dont think I have ever listened to more than 45 mins
of my contest effort - it is just way to BORING and painful.
Those periods spent on 160 meters from HC8N in the ARRL DX
contest were more than painful enough the first time - I dont
want to live thorough it again - but you can if you would like.

http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/hc8n_160m.wav
(Warning this is 3.4Mb of static crashes)

--

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."