[CQ-Contest] OO reports

Subject: [CQ-Contest] OO reports
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed Mar 13 04:27:31 2002
I don't really understand people who feel obligated to insult OO's, or
make light of their efforts.

This seems to be a trend that has spilled over from the rest of
society that anything we do is OK.

> everything except the date, time, and license plate.  Odd -- but
> still, if he's right, he's right.  Annoying, but right.

A good many people operate out of band, especially when they
have power pushed to the limit of the radio/amp.

In particular solid state equipment needs huge headroom to have
reasonable IMD performance, yet I see rigs like FT1000MP's
cranked up to 130 watts or more. If you use a new TS2000 on 160,
IM is only in the -20dB range. Better stay far from band edges with
that rig, especially if you are loud!

 > But even though I didn't identify him, it's amazing how many people
> knew exactly whom I was talking about.  Right down to the style of
> envelope the notice came in, and age of the stamps on it.

The guy should be congratulated. He paid for those stamps,
devoted his time, and we should not operate with emissions that
extend out of band or spurious emissions that cause interference.

Of course the point is well taken that the OO should be absolutely
sure his receiver is not the problem. It would be a good idea if the
ARRL required the OO to detail his equipment, and how he made
the measurement.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com