[CQ-Contest] Re: Linears in the closet

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Linears in the closet
From: kr6x@kr6x.com (Leigh S. Jones, KR6X)
Date: Thu Mar 14 16:22:03 2002
Might I point out that my intention while writing was not to find fault with
the operators
in the UK, Canada, etc.  My personal views on the use of amplifiers in the
countries
that do not allow 1500W PEP output as the USA does could probably be
interpreted
as being considerably more liberal than the views of the governments within
those
countries.  I'd frankly like to see a level playing field in contests on an
international
basis encouraged both within the rules and regulations of governments and
contest
sponsors.  For instance, I often wonder about the senselessness of rules
that dictate
that a contact between a station in Rome and in the Vatican is one point in
the
CQWW, while a contact between two distant points in the United States, or
two
similarly distant points within Russia, China, Australia, etc., count as
zero points,
even when they are not in the same CQ zone.  No, I don't find fault with the
CQWW
organizers for staying with a winning formula.

I simply have a more cosmopolitan viewpoint regarding amateur radio contacts
and their relative merits than the viewpoints that are held by DXer's in
general who
hold great pride in their country totals that, after all, are based
primarily on boundaries
that are merely political.  I sense that political boundaries may be less
important in
the distant future, and differing power limits across borders must surely
pass in the
future as well.  I'd also like to see the privileges of licensed amateur
operator's
defended as if they were rights to some degree.  Being victimized by local
city
government's rules and regulations that violate the spirit of PRB-1 (yes, I
realize that
this is only the rule of law in the US) has made me quite strongly aware
that
governments abuse authority and violate the rights and privileges of amateur
radio
operators to a much greater degree than the population in general.

In defense against abuse of amateur radio privileges by governments, I'd
also
like to suggest that anyone who reads this and has the ability to should
familiarize
themselves with the proceedings between the FCC and two former amateur radio
operators -- Herbert Schoenbohm and Kevin Mitnick.  Yes, I realize that this
does
not seem on first glimpse to be an international issue.  However, I believe
that it
truly is... In the case of Herbert Schoenbohm there may be something that
each
of us can do to advance our own personal views on the subject.  Neither of
these
two are personal friends of mine, but I believe they are on the front lines
fighting
the battle against governmental abuse of power against amateur radio
operators
and very much defending my own personal rights.  And, there may be something
that many outside of the US as well as inside can do in their support.