[CQ-Contest] 400W Linears

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 400W Linears
From: sdelling@facstaff.wisc.edu (Scott Ellington)
Date: Thu Mar 14 13:41:26 2002
At 2:44 PM +0000 3/14/02, andrew (GI0NWG) wrote:

>Even a TL922 gets quite warm running an RTTY contest at 400W (the power
>supply gets warm).

Actually, running a 1.5 KW amplifier at 400 W will generate lots of
heat, unless the amplifier can be loaded very lightly, a tricky thing
on SSB, and probably impossible on 80 and 160.  If you load a 1.5 KW
amplifier normally, then reduce the drive to 400 W output, the tubes
dissipate about as much power as at full output, though the power
supply does not.  Running a TL922 in the low voltage position helps,
but it still won't be efficient at normal loading.  To efficiently
run a 1.5 KW amplifier at 400 W with the normal loading capacitance
and drive power, the plate voltage would have to be reduced to about
half the normal value.

73,

Scott  K9MA

--