[CQ-Contest] Rig on Airplane

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Rig on Airplane
From: nat@ajheatwole.com (Nat Heatwole)
Date: Sat Mar 23 13:17:11 2002
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone tried to take a rig onto an airplane lately?  Is this
permitted
> any longer?  I want to take a 12v mobile rig in my hand-carried
suitcase.
> Without a power supply, I won't be able to turn it on if requested to.
> What is likely to happen?
>
> Thanks & 73,
>
> Hal W1NN

Hi Hal. I've flown several times since 9/11. Here's a list:

-Baltimore, MD   to   Denver, CO
-Denver, CO   to   Bozeman, MT
-Bozeman, MT   to   Denver, CO
-Denver, CO   to   Baltimore, MD
-Raleigh, NC   to   Baltimore, MD
-Baltimore, MD   to   Raleigh, NC

I've used several different airlines and have been to a variety of
different sized airports. My experience is that if you are carrying the
rig on the plane with you:

-It's highly likely they will search the bag it's in/question you at the
medical detectors/x-rays.
-They will almost certainly search the bag it's in and question you at
the gate.

In my experience they seem to understand what cameras and laptops are
but a mobile rig might give them problems. My advice is to:

-Have the original copy of your license with you.
-Have a through and neutral explanation for what it is and what you
intend to use it for.
-If you can, find an advertisement for the rig in an AES, HRO, or like
catalog and bring the catalog along with you.
-Bring a power supply with you if at all possible so that you can turn
it and turn a few knobs for them.
-Inform them that you know you can't use it while the plane is in flight
(at least, without the pilot's permission).

Most importantly, try to take the questions and searches "in stride". If
they don't see you getting nervous or acting weird and freely giving
consent the odds are great that they will let you carry it on. Make sure
to have a good story for what it is and be open and candid throughout.
DO NOT bring along any screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. with you. If they
have to open it they will have all of these tool there but DO NOT bring
them with you.

I would also advise that you allow plenty of time to get to the gate/on
the plane (must more then what they recommend) just in case they do go
over it thoroughly and have a back-up plan for what to do with the rig
if they won't let it on. Also, although it's not PC to say so, you will
have an easier time making it through security if you are any of the
following, the more the more likely:

-Male
-White
-Not overweight
-Not tall
-Not wearing a lot of layers of clothing

In my experience that has been the case since 9/11. Just my $0.02. Best
of luck and 73!

Nat, WZ3AR
<nat@ajheatwole.com>