[CQ-Contest] so2r off the shelf?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] so2r off the shelf?
From: tavan@tibco.com (Rick Tavan)
Date: Sun Apr 14 22:02:26 2002
I'm also an SO2R beginner. I took it up mainly so I could write upbeat,
encouraging columns about the experience for the NCCC newsletter. So if you get
I got and am pretty happy with (in order of your questions):

1. Top Ten Devices DX Doubler - well thought out, simple to use. Just plug in
the rigs, the
    paddel, an (optional) external keyer, the computer, the phones and the mic.
    Includes an optional cable for the 1000MP which is OK although the
connectors
    and stiff cables stick out awkwardly from the radio. Good review of this
box in NCJ
    recently by N0AX I believe.

    Note that if you want to put an external DVK between the mic and the DXD
you will
    need to make up a cable with a male mic connector. Rare. I'm doing it this
way but some of
    the logging programs allegedly do well with sound cards in the computer and
that would
    be a simpler hook-up.

2. WX0B Array Solutions Six Pack two radio antenna switch does exactly what you
want.

3. I got a pair of Dunestar 600 BPFs. One is driven by a Top Ten  Band Decoder
for the 1000MP. (You will need one decoder for each MP). My second radio is a
930 so I have to use a manual switch for its filter. I got the decoder with two
sets of outputs so I can, in theory, drive the MP half of the Six Pack
automatically. Haven't hooked that up yet but I'm confident it can be made to
work. You have to  build up a little diode matrix if any one feedline serves
more than one band. If you have multiple antennas for some bands, you may
prefer not to automate antenna switching.

You absolutely, positively want to use a single computer to drive this stuff
for SO2R. Don't even think about two. Programs like trlog understand you are
SO2R and do a lot of the headstanding for you. The DX Doubler has a cable to
the (single) computer that eliminates lots of custom cabling in and out of your
computer's parallel port. You don't want to worry about two keyboards and don't
have to with this setup. OTOH, if you want to do M/S you will have to have two
computers and network them. I've seen this done but never set it up myself.

The main alternative to all this stuff seems to be the Array Solutions SO2R
Master. I found several excellent contesters using each box. SO2R Master has
most of the connections on a box with no controls so it can be out of the way
behind the rigs. But the switch box takes up desk space. But it has nice
switches. The DX Doubler fits nicely under my rigs which sit on a shelf
supported by 2x4's. If you keep your rigs at table level, this may be a
problem. I chose DX Doubler because I understood the switch labels and N6RO
recommended it. But K5RC recommended SO2R Master. Study the ergonomics and pick
one.

If you have a second-radio antenna that is far away from the primary radio,
consider skipping the BPFs. Mine are quite unnecessary when I have Rig 1 on the
tribander and Rig 2 on the vertical 300' away. OTOH, when Rig 2 is on the 40m
rotary dipole on the same boom as the tribander, the BPFs are the only thing
that keeps the 20m receiver from turning to toast.

I have one RFI problem with this setup - the TTD band decoder gets funny when I
transmit on 10m so I have to switch in the 10m filter manually. Even with the
DXD you end up with quite a rat's nest of cables so I advise you to be more
careful with cable construction, grounding and connections.

It has been much more fun integrating all this stuff than actually operating
SO2R. That's hard!  ;-)

73,

Rick N6XI